Klean Protein Cinnamon French Toast
Created by Karlyn Grimes, MS RD LDN CSSD+
(biography click here)
Just the smell wafting through the kitchen as this French toast turns golden brown on the stovetop lets you know you’re in for an especially tasty treat. The nutrient analysis is the cherry on top. Talk about a nutritional powerhouse! Each slice of deliciousness offers 12 grams of quality protein, B vitamins necessary for energy generation, antioxidants to fight free radicals, and bone-nurturing vitamins and minerals. Add fruit, yogurt and/or turkey bacon to make a meal that is not just for breakfast, but any time of day.‡
KLEAN PROTEIN CINNAMON FRENCH TOAST
YIELD: ~4 to 6 slices
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup milk (plant- or animal-based, your choice)
- ¼ cup Klean Isolate™ (Try Klean Isolate™ Natural Vanilla Flavor for an extra kick)
- 4 to 6 slices of bread, depending on size and thickness
- Whisk together eggs, vanilla and cinnamon in a shallow dish. Add milk. Gradually whisk in Klean Whey Protein Isolate™ until the whey is completely incorporated. Note: you can also add all of your ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Dunk bread slices into the batter allowing each side to become completely submerged and saturated.
- Cook the bread slices on a lightly greased, nonstick griddle or skillet on medium heat until both sides are golden brown. Top with fresh fruit, maple syrup, honey, molasses, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt or whatever tickles your fancy. YUM!!
Nutrient Content per Slice of French Toast: Calories: 139; Carbohydrate: 15 grams; Fiber: 2 grams; Protein: 12 grams; Fats: 3 grams; Selenium: 29% Daily Value (DV); Calcium: 12% DV; Vitamin D: 6% DV; Iron: 6% DV; Folate: 6% DV; Vitamin B12: 16% DV; Potassium: 4% DV.
Karlyn Grimes, MS RD LDN CSSD, is the founder of Simply Simple Health (SSH) and author of The Everything Anti-Inflammation Diet Book. SSH creates and administers nutrition, fitness and health education programs for athletes, educators, coaches and sports teams at schools and colleges throughout the Boston area. Its programming includes individual and group sports nutrition counseling, as well as sport-specific personal training. SSH also contributes to numerous academic textbooks and magazines.
Karlyn has a dual Master’s degree in nutrition and exercise physiology from Boston University and a Bachelor of Arts degree in biology from Colgate University, with a minor in economics. She is a registered dietitian (RD) with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, a certified specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) and a licensed dietitian nutritionist (LDN) in the state of Massachusetts. She is currently a faculty member in the Nutrition and Biology Departments at Simmons College in Boston, where she teaches sports nutrition, medical nutrition therapy, exercise physiology, anatomy and physiology, general biology, and numerous other courses.
+Our medical advisors are retained consultants for Klean Athlete.