Klean Protein Chocolatey Brownies
Created by Karlyn Grimes, MS RD LDN CSSD+
(biography click here)
If you like chocolate, you have met your match. These brownies are gluten- and dairy-free chocolatey treats that are low in calories and provide a great source of high-quality protein. They are the perfect post-meal snack or energy bar substitute. We’ve also included some ideas on how to embellish your brownies to make them out of this world, but still provide your body with the tools it needs to compete and repeat. Don’t miss out, these are reeeally delicious protein brownies!
PREP TIME: 10-15 minutes
READY IN: 30 minutes
YIELD: 18 brownies
Step #1: DRY INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup oat flour (grind old-fashioned oats in the blender to make your own)
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup Klean Protein Isolate™ – Natural Chocolate Flavor
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
Step 2: WET INGREDIENTS
- 2 large whole eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 cup applesauce
Step #3: EMBELLISHMENTS
To add a little pep to these delicious brownies, add ½ tsp of peppermint extract or ½ cup of dark chocolate mini chips or chopped nuts of your choice. Or top with a small slathering of peanut or other nut butter, or a drizzle of melted chocolate chips. And no one would arrest you if you put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side or a dollop of whipped cream on top. Your choice!! We trust you!!
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Spray an 8X8-inch pan (for thicker brownies) or 9×13-inch pan (for thinner brownies) with cooking spray and lightly dust with flour.
- Step 1: Dry Ingredients: In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, Klean Protein Isolate™ – Natural Chocolate Flavor, salt and baking soda).
- Step 2: Wet Ingredients: In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, canola oil and applesauce. Feel free to add peppermint extract, mini chocolate chips or nuts at this point.
- Marrying The Dry and Wet Ingredients: Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Blend gently.
- Spread your delicious chocolatey mixture evenly in an 8×8-inch pan or 9×13-inch prepared pan.
- Bake for ~20-25 minutes if using the 8×8-inch pan or ~15-20 minutes if using the 9×13-inch pan. The final time will depend on the heat of your oven. They are officially ready when an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Do not overcook, as the brownies will dry out.
Nutrient Content per Cookie: Calories: 79; Carbohydrate: 6 grams; Fiber: 1 gram; Protein: 5 grams; Fat: 4 grams.
Karlyn Grimes, MS RD LDN CSSD, is the founder of Simply Simple Health (SSH) and author of The Everything Anti-Inflammation Diet Book. SSH creates and administers nutrition, fitness and health education programs for athletes, educators, coaches and sports teams at schools and colleges throughout the Boston area. Its programming includes individual and group sports nutrition counseling, as well as sport-specific personal training. SSH also contributes to numerous academic textbooks and magazines.
Karlyn has a dual Master’s degree in nutrition and exercise physiology from Boston University and a Bachelor of Arts degree in biology from Colgate University, with a minor in economics. She is a registered dietitian (RD) with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, a certified specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) and a licensed dietitian nutritionist (LDN) in the state of Massachusetts. She is currently a faculty member in the Nutrition and Biology Departments at Simmons College in Boston, where she teaches sports nutrition, medical nutrition therapy, exercise physiology, anatomy and physiology, general biology, and numerous other courses.
+Karlyn Grimes is a retained advisor to Klean Athlete.