Klean Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
Created by Karlyn Grimes, MS RD LDN CSSD
Retained Medical Advisor* (biography click here)
Not many fruit breads can boast 10 grams of protein per slice in a delicious craving-crushing, easy-to- handle delight. This is clearly another Klean, nutrient dense treat that can be enjoyed anytime, anywhere. Top your slice or muffin with apple butter, cottage cheese, Nutella or a healthy trans fat free buttery spread. As with our other high protein breads and muffins, pair your slice with a tall glass of milk and a piece of fresh fruit for optimal fueling input that will surely enhance your training output. Enjoy!
YIELD: TWO 9” x 5” LOAVES OR 20-24 MUFFINS
WET INGREDIENTS (#1)
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 cups ripe bananas, mashed (~4 medium bananas)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
DRY INGREDIENTS (#2)
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (~4 scoops) KLEAN ISOLATE whey protein powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
FINAL FOLD-IN INGREDIENT (#3)
- 1 cup of chocolate chips or chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spray two 9” x 5” loaf pan or non-stick muffin tins with cooking spray. You can also line the baking cups with muffin liners to minimize the mess.
- Blend all the wet ingredients (#1) together.
- In a separate bowl, blend all the dry ingredients (#2) together.
- Gradually fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until mixed, but be sure not to overmix.
- If desired, with a spoon, fold the walnuts or chocolate chips into the batter.
- Divide the batter into two 9” x 5” pans (1.5 quarts) or spoon the batter into greased muffin cups until they are ¾ full.
- Bake for 45 minutes if you choose to make loaves and ~15 minutes for the muffins. The bread or muffins are done when the top is firm to the touch and/or a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Do not overcook!!
Storage Instructions: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze in individual portions for up to 3 months.
Nutrient Content Per Slice (10 slices per loaf): Calories: 210; Carbs: 29 grams; Fiber: 3 grams; Protein: 10 grams; Fats: 6 grams; Calcium: 4% Daily Value (DV); Potassium: 5% DV; Iron: 5% DV; Folate: 4% DV; 10%+ DV for four B vitamins (vitamin B6, thiamin, niacin and riboflavin)..
Karlyn Grimes, MS RD LDN CSSD, is the founder of Simply Simple Health (SSH) and author of The Everything Anti-Inflammation Diet Book. SSH creates and administers nutrition, fitness and health education programs for athletes, educators, coaches and sports teams at schools and colleges throughout the Boston area. Its programming includes individual and group sports nutrition counseling, as well as sport-specific personal training. SSH also contributes to numerous academic textbooks and magazines.
Karlyn has a dual Master’s degree in nutrition and exercise physiology from Boston University and a Bachelor of Arts degree in biology from Colgate University, with a minor in economics. She is a registered dietitian (RD) with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, a certified specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) and a licensed dietitian nutritionist (LDN) in the state of Massachusetts. She is currently a faculty member in the Nutrition and Biology Departments at Simmons College in Boston, where she teaches sports nutrition, medical nutrition therapy, exercise physiology, anatomy and physiology, general biology, and numerous other courses.
*Our medical experts have been retained as consultants in advising Klean Athlete. They are compensated for this service.