Klean Cinnamon-Raisin Bread
Created by Karlyn Grimes, MS RD LDN CSSD
Retained Medical Advisor* (biography click here)
The smell of this bread alone will have your mouth watering and your mind on the oven timer. Grab a slice right out of the oven for optimal enjoyment. It is scrumptious plain, toasted or topped with apple or regular butter. Pair it with a cup of coffee or hot tea and you’ll feel like you’re on a little vacation. And we can’t forget the nutritional contributions that these loafs bring to the table: A nice hearty slice offers 7 grams of protein, more than double that found in a store-bought slice. Enjoy any time of day – 2 to 3 hours before you hit the gym or after your workout to inspire recovery and repair.‡
YIELD: TWO 9” x 5” LOAF PANS (~24 slices)
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Klean Whey Protein Isolate™
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea or table salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray pans with cooking spray.
- Cinnamon-Sugar Mixture: Mix together the sugar and cinnamon for the topping.
- Dry Ingredients: Mix together flour, Klean Isolate, granulated sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture into the dry ingredients mixture.
- Wet Ingredients: Whisk together eggs, buttermilk and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix only until the dry and wet ingredients are incorporated.
- If you prefer, fold in the raisins at this time. You can also add cranberries, walnuts or other favorite enhancement.
- Pour the dough evenly into the greased loaf pans.
- Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture on top of the dough.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. It may take about 50 minutes depending on your oven, but check early. You do not want to overcook this delightful bread.
- Remove from the oven and let chill on a wire rack.
Storage Instructions: Eat immediately or store in an air-tight container for up to one week!
Nutrient Content Per Serving: Calories: 170; Carbs: 32 grams; Fiber: 2 grams; Protein: 7 grams; Fats: 3 grams; Calcium: 3% Daily Value (DV); Selenium: 23% DV; Magnesium: 9% DV; Iron: 5% DV; Thiamin, Niacin and Vitamin B6: 10+% DV.
Karlyn Grimes, MS RD LDN CSSD, is the founder of Simply Simple Health (SSH) and author of The Everything Anti-Inflammation Diet Book. SSH creates and administers nutrition, fitness and health education programs for athletes, educators, coaches and sports teams at schools and colleges throughout the Boston area. Its programming includes individual and group sports nutrition counseling, as well as sport-specific personal training. SSH also contributes to numerous academic textbooks and magazines.
Karlyn has a dual Master’s degree in nutrition and exercise physiology from Boston University and a Bachelor of Arts degree in biology from Colgate University, with a minor in economics. She is a registered dietitian (RD) with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, a certified specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) and a licensed dietitian nutritionist (LDN) in the state of Massachusetts. She is currently a faculty member in the Nutrition and Biology Departments at Simmons College in Boston, where she teaches sports nutrition, medical nutrition therapy, exercise physiology, anatomy and physiology, general biology, and numerous other courses.
*Our medical experts have been retained as consultants in advising Klean Athlete. They are compensated for this service.